Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Uncle Larry?



Saturday, my friends Destin, Sean, Eric, and myself were a third of the way through our disc golf round at the park, when Des decided to take a slight detour because for some reason his wife, Tara, had shown up at one of the picnic pavilions. Seemed like a weird time to take a break - I had just pwned the last hole......but whatever. 

We walked through the park, passing lots of super hyped-up kids at the playground and several cookouts before we spotted Tara's van. In my peripheral, I saw somebody I recognized,  but it wasn't Tara. "Uncle Larry?..........what are you doing here?". He gave me his characteristic mustache-laden smirk, chuckled a little bit, and then quite suddenly, all these other people I knew happened to materialize right in front of me. I had been had! 

I've always told myself that I would NEVER be caught off guard if I were ever to be thrown a surprise party.......Fail. After coming to grips with the situation, I realized that it's waaay cooler to be surprised.


After chatting with folks and eating, a large group of us played disc golf. We played a 3-person per team scramble skins game (Comprende?). Allow me to indulge myself - I hit 3 super aweso
me putts, one of which was from about 60 feet. This is uncharacteristic of my golf game, which consists of shots such as "Crap, that slipped", 'Dink!!!', and "Fooorrr!!". We played till the sun went down and no one lost a disc till the last hole. Good times.


As I drove home I began realizing that I'm giving up a lot by leaving. At the same time, I was reminded that I've got a lot to come back to once I'm finished with my Peace Corps assignment. While I'm sleeping under my mosquito net sweating my butt off, that will be a comforting thought.

--Stevo

No comments:

Post a Comment