Monday, June 29, 2009

My Super Awesome Last Day


What would you do if you had one last day in America? The beach? Disney World? I have been given that opportunity; and what am I doing? Squat! And I wouldn't have it any other way. I am lounging around my Mom's place, waiting for a massage from my brother..........it's ok, he's a massage therapist. Also on the agenda this evening are a long hot shower, some good ole' southern cookin' - chicken, mashed potatoes, fried okra - and getting my iPod loaded with awesome songs.


I'm packed and ready to go. The Peace Corps imposed an 80 lb and 107 linear inch limit on my checked bags. My bags are about 40 lbs and 90 inches.......and they're pretty dense. I'm not sure how you could exceed 80 lbs unless you're packing horseshoes. For those curious what one packs for 2+ years, here you go, in order of importance:

  • planner
  • journal
  • knives (lots)
  • knife sharpener
  • hand-crank flashlight
  • tennis shoes
  • nalgene bottles (2)
  • Calendars with Family/Friend pictures
  • Universal converter plugs w/surge protection (2)
  • spoon, fork, knife
  • recorder (Yes, the musical instrument that everyone quit playing in 5th grade)
  • harmonica
  • Glasses (2)
  • Camera
  • Gambia Map
  • US Map
  • Hat
  • Rain jacket
  • Mp3 players (old Dell DJ, and iPod shuffle)
  • small backpack
  • sandals
  • scissors
  • calculators (I'm dusting off the ole' TI-85 from college)
  • laptop
  • ruggedized external hard drive
  • various computer cables
  • pens/pencils
  • Ziploc bags
  • spatula
  • measuring cups
  • compression sack (2)
  • Ultimate Disc (2)
  • vegetable peeler
  • Dominion card game
  • playing cards
  • digital camera memory cards
  • t-shirts (3)
  • underwear (14)
  • zipoff pants
  • athletic shorts
  • blank DVDs
  • swimsuit
  • jeans
  • Toothbrush
  • Dental Floss
  • books
  • roll-on suitcase
  • duffel bag
  • Hand Towels (2)
  • Towel
  • Washcloths (2)
  • Pillow cases (2)
  • flat bedsheets (2 pair)
  • Pillow
  • kitchen knife
  • us stamps
  • gifts for host family (Pictures, Gyroscopes, and space shuttle toys)
  • Waterproof watch w/batteries
  • spices
  • Can opener
  • thumbdrive (2)
  • Batteries (lots)
  • duct tape, packing tape
  • earplugs
  • Good razors
  • deodorant
  • shaving cream
  • socks (4 pair)
  • Button up shirts (3)
  • pants
  • battery charger 120/240 AC
  • Toothpaste
  • Sunscreen
  • Clif Bars
  • Skin lotion
  • Diaper rash cream (For occasional bouts of RAS)
  • Peace Corps documentation
I leave for Philly tomorrow at 6 AM (ick), and then on to The Gambia the next day. I will have internet access on July 3rd..............then I will enter the internet detoxification program, where I am deprived until August 28th! I'm totally going to relapse.

I'm super-pumped and nervous at the same time. Wish me luck.
--Stevo

5 comments:

  1. Good luck dude!!! You got this...and in the words of the great Jarrod Parde, "Let's DOOO This!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. COME ON! Let's DOO THIS! I tried to contact you and tell you to take that phone.... It's an unlocked world phone and you can buy a sim card virtually anywhere and it will work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The absolute best from Karen and I. We'll be thinking about you. Stay awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He did forget to pack the Macbook power cord and I found a tiny pot of "recorder lube" under the coffee table a week later....that might have pushed him over the wt limit!! Love you and miss you son.

    ReplyDelete