Monday, October 5, 2009

Farafenni

So, here I will be in Farafenni, The Gambia for the next 2 years. Farafenni is a sprawling metropolis of over 12000 people, which probably makes it about the 5th biggest city in The Gambia. So far its been good......but good grief is life slow here. My family is great and relatively small - compared to the enormous compound of 40+ people I had in training village - it's only 15 people. I have a host father, who is the Alimamo and retired cow's feet dealer, 2 host mothers, and several brothers and sisters. Also, my host father's brother and his family live in the compound. I have a one room, pentagon-shaped hut with a thatched roof and a big backyard with hearts painted all over it. My hut has been aptly titled 'The Penthouse'.

Considering I've been living alone for the last five years, it's been quite an adjustment adapting to a family living situation. People always ask where your going and when your coming back. They also 'borrow' things from you. And like just like my family at home, occasionally get on my nerves. Sometimes when I hear 'Junkung......Junkung', I want to throw my shoe at them. But don't get the wrong idea, I really do like being a part of a family, and I definitely do feel like I am part of the family.

I'm starting to learn my way around town - it only took a week for me to find the internet cafe. It's run by a couple by a couple Nigerian dudes, Martin and Sam, that I've become friends with. I've offered to try to fix some of their computers, to keep myself occupied..... and get free internet. Unfortunately in Farafenni you never really know when the lights are going to turn on. On Saturday, I waited 4 hours for power. And of course, I was informed that as soon as I left, it came on. Kinda sucks for an IT volunteer, but oh well, I guess it's all part of the PC experience....

My host brother Mumbala styling his best outfit....


Baraji also looking good...


1 comment:

  1. Cool! I looked you up on a map. It has roads on there too, which will be good in case I decide to stop by for a visit.

    ReplyDelete