Sunday, June 5, 2011

Deep Thoughts


The other day I went to bum some sugar from my family, mostly because I was too lazy to walk to the shop and buy some. That act of laziness got me in an introspective mood. Here are my thoughts.

I'm willing to borrow things TO people. I'm also willing to borrow things FROM people.

My backyard is now a chicken coop, which houses an enormous chicken. *

I don't use toilet paper. Instead I use old Peace Corps newsletters. 

I lost 20 pounds. Then gained 10. I feel not fat. **

I could probably drink water out of a Shell Station toilet now and be ok.

I now have a tattoo, sort of.

My Happy 50th Birthday Rusty shirt has spoiled, but I refuse to get rid of it.

I can grow a mustache. I've been immortalized on Facebook.


Now, of course, these were not the only thoughts that I've ever had, nor that surfaced during my meditative session. Just thoughts.

Moving on.

By end of June, I will have moved from my awesome 5-sided hut on the cusp of the bush to a more urban and probably quadrilateral place in Brikama. Brikama is home to the single most legitimate learning institution in the country and I intend to teach programming there. While the last two years have been a challenge in their own right, they haven't been a technical challenge. I've got the itch to do some programming; a fever I would say. And the only prescription is more cowbell. So wish me me luck as I begin to wrap up my Peace Corps career with this new endeavor.



* My host mother came to me one afternoon wanting know if she could use some extra chicken wire I had laying around. Sure, no problem. I went away for some Peace Corps business for a couple weeks. A came back to find this monstrosity of a chicken in my backyard, along with a stud rooster, who was dwarfed by this hen. So business savvy, that mother of mine.

** Here's my secret to my not-feeling-fatness: 
- Rice to eat, lot's of it. 
- Water to drink, lots of it. 
- Natural exercise, not necessarily a lot of it. (e.g. push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, yoga)
- Biking, a little bit of it. 

That's it. After living here for two years, I realize that we Americans are physically pathetic. Sit in the car and drive to work, sit in front of a computer and do work, sit in the car and drive home, sit in the chair and watch the television, lay down in the bed and go to sleep. No physical exertion. The short little walks to the fridge don't count. We even maintain our lawns sitting down. We've evolved (or have been designed) to walk upright, even run at times. If we humans were a species whose intended mode of locomotion was sitting, then we'd all look like Jabba the Hut. (And some of us do.) In all my time here in Africa, I've seen TWO fat kids. Two. And the family of one of them owns a restaurant. So... there's no reason why people can't walk anywhere that's within a mile radius of home. That's a twenty minute walk. In the age of DVR and Tivo, if people have time to watch their 4th favorite sitcom, they can take the time to walk to the grocery store or to the take-out chinese place. It's not that hot, trust me. My testicles are sweating as I type this. But it might be cold, so wear a jacket.




2 comments:

  1. I bet the fat kid is the envy of all of his friends. ;-) How un-American is that?! Glad to hear you're having fun and getting to do share some of your programming skillz. You know, when I lived in DC, our neighbors ran a Korean restaurant out of the downstairs portion of their apartment, so, we occasionally had chickens and roosters fended in the back yard (next door) as well. It was always sad to come home on days when they'd disappear. Something about having animals around makes us more human, I think. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put sir. When I was in Pittsburgh, I got rid of my car and used public transportation and my feet. For many months I walked 2.7 miles each way to work because it took the same amount of time as the bus and had a river view. Granted I'm still fatter than most Africans. Transitioning back to AL has been an eye-opener. I think about when I used to move my car from one end of a shopping center to the other to go to a different store. Haha, anyway, I completely agree and at the same time, struggle with the temptation of the laziness of being an Alabamian-American.

    ReplyDelete