Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Goodbye Training Village

Today is the first day of Ramadan. For those who don’t know what that is, it is the annual month-long fast that is one of the five pillars of Islam. This is a REAL fast, as in NO food or water is taken while the sun is out. Additionally, devout Muslims starting at the ripe old age of eight do not partake of anything that could considered ‘excessive’ during the day, e.g. smoking, drinking attaya, dancing, having sex, etc. And they do (or don’t do) all of this with a smile on their face. I know, it sounds like these people are out of their minds. Honestly, I think it’s a beautiful thing. It sort of puts Lent to shame. Christians in America give up soda for 40 days......... weak.


So I finally broke out my camera and took some pictures with my host family. It makes me a little sad to leave.



Wonto, Aja, and I

Me and my host sister Wonto

No comments:

Post a Comment